How to use Time Tracking in QuickBooks DesktopNovember 2, 2018
What are different types QuickBooks File Extensions?November 3, 2018
QuickBooks Error 6190, -816 is one of the most common error codes found. It simply means that the user cannot access the company files on the host computer. This article provides a detailed analysis to understand the causes and effects of the error and how to resolve it.
What are the causes of QuickBooks Error 6190, -816 ?
This error can occur due to several reasons. Some of them include:
- A mismatch between the transaction log file and the company file. A transaction log is the summary of transactions which is done by the company and is automatically saved by QuickBooks as [QB company file name].qbw.tlg file. This cannot be opened to convert the file into a company data file (qbw). Now when the company data file (QBW) does not match with its linked ‘TLG’ file, the QuickBooks shows error 6190, -816.
- An update failure could be a reason as well. This happens when a company file is updated on a different computer without updating its transaction file.
- One of the other causes would be when another user is logged in to the company file in Single User mode.
- A cause which is less likely to occur, is data corruption or data damage in QuickBooks data file, hence showing the error code.
What are the effects of QB Error 6190, -816?
- The organization file is corrupted due to the mismatch as mentioned above. User loses all important files that are saved within company data (QBW) file.
- This prevents the access of the user to the file since it may have been opened by another user already.
How to resolve QuickBooks Error 6190, -816?
There are various methods which can resolve this issue. It is recommended to check after each method as each individual method is likely to resolve this issue.
Method 1 (Fix the mismatch):
- Locate the company file in the company folder.
- The transaction log file and the company file will be having the same name but different extensions. For example, the company file will be named as [company file name].qbw.nd and transaction log file will be named as [company file name].qbw.tlg.
- Right-click on the company file and then select ‘Rename’ option. Enter any new name on it. Ensure that the extension “.qbw.nd” is not omitted.
- Similarly, right-click on the transaction file and then select ‘Rename’ option. Choose a new name and ensure that the extension is not omitted here as well.
- Exit the system and open QuickBooks to log in to the company file.
Method 2 (Single Mode User Check):
- Ensure that no users are logged in to QuickBooks Data file.
- Restart the computer.
- Copy the data file to another location except from its source.
- Copy the data file back again to its original location.
- Sign in to QuickBooks.
If the issue still persists, there is always an alternative. Errors can be resolved better when some expert and professional could walk us through the steps. The reliable QuickBooks errors tech help team can be reached out here at +1-877-263-2742 who are available for help 24 hours a day.